Back in Australia, a friend of Keith's had a kitemare at Merimbula. He got tangled in his kite lines when body dragging and was hurt badly after being "tea bagged" repeatedly. He was rescued eventually by a tourist boat in the vicinity.
Some tips to avoid this type of accident::
- Have enough lessons to learn kite control and safety drills. Five is a realistic minimum.
- Practice your safety drills - such as releasing your kite completely.
- Carefully check your set up before heading out.
- Carry a safety knife and cut your lines if you get tangled in them, don't try to "sort it out" unless the kite is safely on the beach.
- if you get tangled, land the kite and re rig the lines before flying it again.
- If in doubt, release your kite without delay.
Link: Happy to be alive, Merimbula News