I tried the "sand on the wingtip" launch but the kite launched prematurely so I had to bring it down quick - lucky to not be dragged a bit. I lauched solo using the "beach launch" method, which worked OK. But they tell me in SHQ that this method is damaging kites, if they are dragged on the sand over a sharp shell or something else that causes damage. Nobody to launch it for me so I didn't have any choice this time.
How to do the "beach launch":
- Rig the kite with the bar windward
- Rotate the kite about 90 degrees on top of the lines
- Hook up the harness
- Rotate the bar 180 degrees (so left is on the right)
- Walk backwards - the kite will rotate around and start to catch the wind backwards
- Pull on 1 bar end to lift a wing tip - as per a water relaunch.
- Launch it.
I was going upwind well. Then I put the kite in the water and it did a forward rotation, so I dragged in with the rear lines crossing the front ones and finished for the day.
Overall, a good session. I had to focus on technique as the wind strength was down a bit. Next challenges are to master turning around without plopping back in the water, try for some air, and practice downwind sailing.