27 October 2005These are notes from my first kiteboarding less with Matt at St Kilda, near where the old Beaconsfield Hotel is - a very popular spot with local kiteboarders. After several booking cancellations due to unfavourable weather conditions, I finally have a lesson.
I have been flying a 2.1m 4 line trainer kite for over a year as preparation.
- Wind window
- Power zone
- Use figure 8s in half of wind window in direction of travel
- Kite generates pull when turning – use this in lighter winds
- Inflating kite – blow tubes to very firm and seal with Velcro
- Put kite leading edge down, top to wind. Put sand onto wing either side of central bladder to keep it there.
- Can walk with kite by holding onto leading edge in middle
- Left side of bar – lines and thread stitching on lines are colour coded
- TRAP: incorrectly rigged kite is uncontrollable – can be dragged
- From edge of wind window to 12:00 – don’t launch directly or too much power generated.
- Walk with kite in edge of wind window, holding top of bar and adjusting to keep flying – can walk into wind.
- Used a 3m kite
- Clipped into harness
- Sitting & getting dragged through the sand
- Lots of power
- Flew figure eights – keep them tight
- Use arms to steer, but harness to take weight of kite (not the bar)
- Bar clip a bit tricky
It was great fun flying a bigger kite. Looking forward to the next lesson.
Post a Comment