I DID IT! Stoked to finish.
I finished 43rd overall and 26th in the Male Foil/Race/Surfboard category with a time of 35:59. Olly Bridge, the winner, did it in 19:34 on a foil! Here are the provisional results.
Several twin tip riders finished ahead of me including Jordan Girdis (1) Aaron Hadlow (2) and Rou Chater.
For more photos of Rottnest Island and my pre-race kitesurfing warm-up see here
|The start, just pass the boat.|
|Relaxing on the course|
|Mid point. Photo: Paul Smith|
|Coming in to Leighton Beach, my kite is on the right. Photo: Peta-Ann North|
|Kent Wright and Peter Campbell, happy finishers|
|Refreshments. Photo: Daniel De Giosa|
A few tips:
- Some training around Leighton Beach is good to get familiar with landmarks and the wind direction.
- Its a crosswinder rather than a downwinder so train for that.
- Have a big kite in your quiver in case the wind is light, my 14.5 was great.
- Use a board that is good in light wind.
- Do a few race starts before you enter so you are familiar with how they work
- Allow a few days to partake in some excellent kitesurfing along Perth's beaches.
- Enjoy yourself!